Monday, September 24, 2007

carol reed's THE THIRD MAN (1949)

i'm not even going to try writing anything about The Third Man, especially after such a long break from movie blogging. it's strange how the inconsequential films are easier to write about, but when it comes to the stuff that floors me, i can't express anything to my satisfaction. maybe that's what makes it art? or maybe i'm just a little too aware that my own impressions of masterworks are pretty banal in the shadow of the volumes already written? painful self-awareness, though, is a small price to pay for exposure to brilliance, on both the screen and the page, and The Third Man, in its studied, quietly suspenseful pursuit, is brilliance itself.

1 comment:

ROXYMUZAK said...

That happens to me when I try to write about the import of something great rather than just how it makes me feel. But yeah, a pure takedown is easier, because it comes from an easily accessed place. If you just start writing about the feeling, though, you break into a cache...